Dedicated to posts about geology as seen through my eyes as a geoscientist. I strive to cover topics such as popular geoscience news, pictures and descriptions of geologic adventures, and teaching geologic concepts using different media.

Monday, December 12, 2016

Free Topographic Maps

I don't know how I did not know about this site, but I found out that anyone with internet access can now print out USGS 7.5 minute topographic maps of the Continental US. This seems to be made possible by National Geographic and the United States Geological Survey. I apologize if I am not aware of other sponsors. Here is a link to the website: http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/pdf-quads#internalmap.

If you are asking yourself how you can take advantage of these maps, let me suggest some ideas:

1. Use them for hiking. These maps should probably be printed out anytime you go for long walks just in case your GPS battery dies, phone dies, or you get lost.

2. Use them to understand what elevation change you could expect in a run or bike ride.

3. Use them for your backpacking trip. These maps can be used to help you find trails, campgrounds, or even civilization.

4. Use them for artwork in your house. Okay, maybe this is just me that likes printing out the topographic maps from where I have lived and display them!

These are only a few ideas for using a topographic map. Topographic maps consist of  lines on a map (contour lines) indicating equal elevation above sea level. Anytime you are dealing with elevation or gradients, these maps can be useful. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment